Back To School • Uni Tips

| On :

I know what your thinking, Angela...you don't even go to Uni anymore. Girl, I know... But I feel it's my duty to pass on some knowledge. I may not have been the most resourceful person in the early stages of my time at Uni, but I learned (the hard way) that being frugal is the way of life!
*Warning this is a slightly text heavy post*



While I may not be in college anymore, I thought it would kind of nice to pass on some knowledge that I picked up back in my day (basically things I wish I would've known when I was a Freshman) 

- BUY YOUR BOOKS USED!
I wish I would've done this the first and half of second year that I was at Uni. Textbooks are EXXXPENNNSSSIIVVVEEEEE, like half your tuition expensive. So, I learned, accidentally actually, that you can sell back your books AND buy used books. Most Uni book stores have these programs, but if not there are TONS of websites that have programs like this. I had the best success with Amazon and SellBackYourBook.
BONUS JONAS, sometimes the used books have notes already highlighted or written in there ;) 

- Make friends with someone who has a meal plan
I never lived in the dorms, Nathan and I lived together off campus, so we had to buy our own groceries. However, I knew a lot of people who lived in the dorms and got the meal plan with their dorm dues. These people soon became my best friends. Our Uni had basically 'All-you-can-eat' style, as long as you ate within the time frames. So, I would buy a bottle of water, say I'm studying at the tables and my friends would bring me food. This may not apply to all schools, but for my school it worked like a charm! ALSO, use this time to share notes from any classes you share. Note sharing/comparing saved me alllll the times. Sometimes, I just can't keep up with how fas the professors would go....or I'd go to the bathroom and we'd be like 3 chapters further already - eesh.

- Shop at the Dollar Store or Bulk/Savings Stores
As much as your girl loves Target, some of their stuff is just way too pricey for me, especially when I was on a broke-college-kid budge, so BIGLOTS! and The Dollar Tree became my best friend real quick. Especially when it came to buying school supplies. You could get a pack of 12 mechanical pencils for like $2, WINNING! The pencils are too ugly for you? GIRL THROW SOME WASHI TAPE ON IT! And plus, you're in Uni, no one is going to care what kind of pencil or pen you have.

- Ask for Student Discount
This is something I was always embarrassed to do, it's just so awkward being like "HEY THERE, YOU GOT THE HOOK UP?" But trust me girl, it's so worth it! A lot of times I would casually slip my student I.D. out and they would be like "OH YOU'RE A STUDENT?! GIRL I GOT YOU" k not like that, but you know what i mean
Most establishments will have some sort of discount, especially the food places. It may be 5-10% but every penny counts!

- RELAX
Trust me, I know just how stressful Uni can get, no doubt. Especially if you're working AND attending classes, but NOTHING is more important than your mental stability. So, take care of yourself. If you can't afford to go to the spa or get a massage, then I strongly suggest investing in some goodies from Bath and Body Works. One thing that REALLY helped me was the Eucalyptus and Mint lotion. The scent just totally soothes you and brings your mind back down to earth. It's a fairly large bottle, so it lasts a while! Another thing from Bath and Body Works, is their True Blue Spa line. I personally love to unwind a long day with a foot soak and their Effervescent Foot Soak is pure G O L D! It's infused with Chamomile and Lavender, and giiiirrrrllll it totally leaves your feet silky smooth. It also just flushes out all that negative energy. 

-Be Resourceful
Shopping while in Uni doesn't have to be a fantasy, you can still enjoy your self and indulge...just be smart about it! Check out restaurants closer to their closing time. Especially if you live in a small/college town. A lot of times when they're getting ready to close and they have a lot of food left over, they'll offer them at wicked good prices. I once got a whole pizza for $5 because they made too many! $5 Large pizza? OH KAY!
Ever since I first started Uni, I've always had an Ebates account. It's literally genius. You get cash back on your purchase JUST FOR SHOPPING ONLINE! The percentage differs all the time, but usually around Back to School time, they have TONS of double (even triple) cash back opportunities! To go hand in hand with Ebates, I ALWAYS go to Retailmenot to get the best coupons and deals. They're great, because they always posts codes and deals that you would only get if you're subscribed to the companies newsletters, and let's be real, who wants 34726763 emails a day?



You can have fun in Uni, duh! that's what you're supposed to do! Just be smart about it. Do you really need to go every single party? ESPECIALLY IF ITS BYOB? Do you REALLY need to go to the movies with your girls every other day? Do you REALLLLLLLY need to order a pizza for dinner every night? Heck no girlfran, save that dough for something you really want!
Have fun, be safe, and good luck!

What are the bests tips and tricks you picked up while you were away at Uni? 
Let me know down below!
Be First to Post Comment !